Starting your day with a healthy breakfast is one of the best things you can do for your body: You’ll jump-start your metabolism, have ample time to burn off calories throughout the day a
But making healthy breakfast choices isn’t always as straightforward as it seems. Breakfast cereals are often loaded with sugar, “healthy” nutrition or protein bars can have more calories and icky ingredients than your average candy bar, and most “breakfast sandwiches,” whether fast food or store-bought, are processed and loaded with unhealthy cooking oils, added sugars and preservatives.
Luckily, you’ve got options. Not only are these some of my favorite healthy breakfast recipes to whip up in the morning, but they’re all as delicious as they are good for you, too. These recipes are so great I won’t fault you for wanting to eat them for lunch and dinner, too.
1. Grain-Free Applesauce Pancakes
Start your day with a stack of fresh and healthy pancakes. This grain-free version is full of apple-flavored goodness, thanks to the inclusion of applesauce. Make sure to cook on low heat to ensure pancakes are fully cooked without burning!
- First, whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl. Then add in applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Next, add in almond meal and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Spray a pan with coconut oil spray or nonstick cooking spray and heat to low/medium (THIS IS IMPORTANT). Once pan is fully heated. Spoon in about 3 tablespoons of batter.
- Let cook for about 3-4 minutes on the first side, or until firm enough to flip. You’ll want to move quickly when flipping with a spatula.
- Cook the second side for around 2-3 minutes or until fully cooked. Repeat 3 more times.